What is Joomla?
Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Websites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.
More people browse the internet using mobile devices now a days. So all websites are converting to responsive layout. As a joomla website developer, it’s a challenge to make the website looks good in all devices. There is a lot of Joomla template framework.
What is Joomla framework?
The Joomla Framework is a platform for writing web and command line applications in PHP. It is free and open source software, distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later.
The Framework comprises code originally developed for the Joomla Content Management System and is a continuation of the Platform project. The Joomla Framework and the Joomla CMS are separate projects with separate development teams. Unlike the Platform, the Framework is not primarily intended as a platform for the Joomla CMS, and the Joomla CMS is not currently built on the Framework.
Which Joomla template Framework you want to use?
1. Gantry – Web Platform Theme Framework
The Gantry Framework is developed by RocketTheme, one of the original Joomla template clubs. Gantry is what powers their club themes nowadays. The framework has been around for a few years, and recently got a major overhaul. The all new Gantry 4.0 offers a complete responsive experience and integration with the popular Twitter Bootstrap framework. The template manager has extensive configuration options, laid out in a clean user friendly control panel. If you’ve ever used a RocketTheme template, then you should be familiar with this interface.
- 78 Module Positions, six columns
- 10 module position layouts
- 3 mainbody sidebars
- Template file Compression
- Style presets and overrides with page assignments
- Mobile: Responsive, custom module positions
- Template width: Responsive, Fixed 960, fixed 1200
- Built in LESS CSS Compiler
- Uses Twitter Bootstrap
- Entire Google font library
2. T3 Framework for Joomla
The T3 Framework is available for free from the developer of the JoomlArt template club. Install the T3 Blank Edition, or use the free Purity template as a base. T3 is not a responsive framework by default, but has a built-in mobile theme that can be customized depending on the device.
JAT3 Blank Edition Features:
- 2 Mainbody sidebars
- Mobile: Custom themes
- 5 different main menu systems
- Google font api
- Create different color themes and layouts
- Template file compression
- Front end template control panel menu
3. Warp Framework – Theme Development Done Right
The Warp Framework is made by the folks at YooTheme. It is also the underlying framework that powers their club templates. Unlike Gantry, the Warp Framework does not use Twitter Bootstrap. The Warp Framework has years of development behind it, and is a powerful framework in it’s own right, comparable to Bootstrap. Warp’s codebase is extremely light, and the entire presentation layer is self contained in a single folder. This means your themes can easily be transferred to other Joomla sites, and even to WordPress!
Warp Master Theme Features
- 40 Module positions, six columns
- 3 module position layouts: Double, Equal, Stack
- 2 mainbody sidebars
- Mobile: Responsive
- Template width: Responsive or fixed to any size you define
- Create custom child theme styles
- Theme profiles with page assignments
- Template file compression
- Custom Ajax search
- Built in social sharing options
- Modules in dropdown menu
4. Meet Gavern – Responsive, bootstrap-based, free Joomla 3.0 Framework
Gavick presented this amazing template framework to everyone for free. It has a lot of features. Very easy to customize the layout, typography and color schemes. Supports google fonts and very seo friendly. Try it you , i am sure you will love it. Because Gavern is one of the best responsive template framework for joomla.
Gavern framework of Gavick and JA T3 of Joomlart have some features in common because Gavick developers created templates based on JA T3 before, and they used that experience to create their own Gavern.
5. Expose Framework – Flexible and Powerful Rapid Theme Development Toolset
This framework is for novices to professional means that you really don’t need to code a single line to make a beautiful, rich, user friendly website for modern devices like iPhone, Android, iPad and all browsers.
Key features of Expose Framework:
- Style is fully customizable through admin panel
- Completely new architecture of module positions which will take your experience to new height
- iPhone, iPad, Android ready template
- Controlling modules- each module width adjustable from template admin
- Typography divided into many sections and you have full control over each section
- Code your typography from template admin (advance user)
- Inbuilt jQuery with many versions. No more conflicts with jQuery!
- Fully restructured semantic html coding
- CSS and JS Code compression and optimized for speed.
- RTL Support
- Revamped CSS framework
- 3rd Party Extension Integration
- Easy Update and maintenance.
- It’s completely built on the latest web techniques like HTML5, CSS3, PHP 5.2+, jQuery 1.5+
- Joomla! 1.5 and 1.6 compatible.
6. Vertex Framework By Shape5 – Responsive Template Framework
The S5 Vertex Framework is a set of functionality that creates the core logic and structure of a template. The purpose of the S5 Vertex framework is to unify the layouts, designs, and functions that Shape5 has built over the years to create one of the most flexible, robust and powerful template blue prints available! Start building your new sites on Vertex Today!
Key Features of Vertex Framework
- Upgradable Framework
- A responsive layout feature
- Text Options
- Flex Menu
7. JV Framework – Compatible with Many Devices
Web design hasn’t ever been as interesting as in JV Framework with the first-time deployed Drag and Drop feature. Along with many advanced features, JV Framework brings you the power to handle your website in the most elegant way. Check it out to see what you will again through JV Framework in our feature list. JV Framework, make it yours! Thats really a good tool for manager joomla! template.
Key Features of JV Framework
- Quickstart (Joomla! install that includes demo data)
- Columns: 12
- Responsive web design(Full HD Support – 1900px)
- HTML5 and CSS3 powered
- Multiple Layout Options + Layout switcher
- 8 Colors and Color switcher
- Validate xhtml and CSS
- 100% tableless CSS
- Typography (allowing user to create BBCode like macros)
- SEO Optimized – Content first
- Custom theme profile (Theme style)
- Compatible: Firefox, IE 7+, Chrome, Safari, Opera …
- Mobiles support (I-Phone, I-Pad, Android, etc)
- Google Fonts
- Support RTL
- Performance Optimization
- Framework is modularized in the form of extensions
- Several utility extensions (Analytics, Copyright, Date, Font Resizer, Flexible menu, Flexible Image, To Top…)
- Flexible template and column widths
- Flexible menu
8. Helix Framework – Powerful templates framework to develop Joomla base website faster!
This nice framework is developed by JoomShaper They build amazing templates using this framework. Its feature rich, easy to customize and very easy. Sure it can be a greate template framework for your website.
Key Features of Vertex Framework
- Stunning Admin Interface
- 4 Menu System (Mega, moo, dropline, split)
- Flexible Layout
- Built-in Google Fonts
- Google Analytics
- CSS3 powered even in IE7-IE8
- Large number of Module Positions
- Module Variations
- RTL language support
- Custom error page
- Custom offline page
- Native jQuery Support
- Font Resizer
- Hide component are for menu items
- Built-in match height option
- Slide to top smoothscroll
- Sliding top panel
- Load module as menu items
- Easy customizations
- W3C XHTML 1.0 Transitional. W3C CSS 3 Valid
- IE6 Warning message
- Optimized code for search engines which helps in SEO
- 100% Tableless design. 100% CSS/DIV compliance.
- Joomla 1.6 native and Joomla 1.5 native
- Well-comment CSS and PHP code files
- Delivered with “QuickStart Package”
- Compatible IE 7+, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Chrome
While many of these frameworks feature extensive control panels and dozens of module positions, don’t let those reasons alone be the deciding factor for your site. You will probably never need to use all of the module positions available, and you’ll spend little time in the control panel after the site is set up. Why don’t you install one of the free frameworks & spend a few minutes exploring the features. Then install another and compare the two. Most of these frameworks have well-written documentation to get you going.