|SEO: Improving Magento sitemap|
joomla template, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart, drupal theme, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart, mootools, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart, drupal theme, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart, jQuery, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart, drupal theme, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart, mootools, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart, drupal theme, virtuemart, phpBB styles, virtuemart
Sitemaps helps to make sure that search engines know about all the pages on your site, including those ones that may not be discoverable by normal crawling process.
Sitemaps also make your site more user-friendly for your customers by giving the possibility to overview a site’s content at a single glance and easily browse your site.
Magento standard Sitemap overview
Magento has the default sitemap which is accessible from the footer links. It’s designed and developed to display only catalog categories and their products. The main big disadvantages of this sitemap are:
- The categories and the products are displayed at different pages that complicates the crawling process (the search engine crawler needs to visit more pages to access all the pages)
- There are no CMS pages in the sitemap that makes it incomplete and CMS pages difficult to find.
How to improve Magento Sitemap
Making the Magento Sitemap more relevant to original site content (displaying all the site pages in hierarchical order) is one of the top feature requests from Magento Community members. Unfortunately this has yet to be implemented.
The Google Sitemap is an XML file which contains all the URLs of the site with some additional information for each the URL: when it was last updated, how often it changes, and how important it is in relation to other URLs in the site. Google, Yahoo, MSN and Ask use the same Sitemap protocol. This helps you to provide relevant and updated info to the fourth largest search engines in easy way.
- Enabled - Select Yes to Enable Google Sitemap autogeneration and automatic updates.
- Start Time - Select the time of day (in 24 hour mode) at which you wish Google Sitemap to update.
- Frequency - Designate whether you want Google Sitemap to update Daily, Weekly, or Monthly. This can differ from the frequency that Google Sitemap actually checks for updates (as defined above).
- Error Email Recipient - Enter the email address to which emails will be sent in case an error occurs during the automatic update.
The sitemap settings for each of these three types of pages can be configured individually.
- Frequency - Designate how often you would like Google Sitemap to check each type of page for updates.
- Priority - Designate the priority that each page type receives in relation to the other page types when Google Sitemap updates.
Generating Google Sitemap
To Generate Google Sitemap you can from Admin area » Catalog » Google Sitemap The steps to generate Google Sitemap are: - Click at “Add Sitemap” button - Fill the “filename” in. More often sitemap has the name “sitemap.xml” (if you have more than one store view you can add the label of needed store view to the name “sitemap_en.xml”) - Specify the “Path” for generated sitemap. If you would like to have the sitemap in your root folder just write the “/” symbol in this field. If the sitemap is placed in some sub-directories specify the full path (Ex. folder1/folder2/) - Specify the store view for which you are going to generate the sitemap - Press “Save” button if you need just to store the sitemap but not generate and press “Save & Generate” if you would like to generate the sitemap. After this you will see the details of the generated sitemap. “Links for Google” is the column which you should use for submission of your sitemaps to search engines. ==== Submission of the Google sitemap to search engines. ==== Once the Google Sitemap is generated you need to provide it to search engines. There are two main ways of how to do this: * By adding the following line in your “robots.txt” file Sitemap: http://joomquery.com/sitemap_location.xml * By submitting your sitemap to search engines using Google Webmaster tools, Yahoo! Site Explorer, MSN and Ask submission services. ==== Submit the sitemap to Google ==== Before you start make sure you added and verified your site in your Webmaster Tools. * Sign into Google Webmaster Tools with your Google Account. * On the Webmaster Tools home page, click the site you want. * Under Site configuration, click Sitemaps. * In the text box, complete the path to your Sitemap (for example, if your Sitemap is at http://www.joomquery.com/sitemap.xml, type sitemap.xml). * Click Submit Sitemap. ==== Submit the sitemap to Yahoo ==== Before you start make sure you added and verified your site in your Yahoo Site Explorer. * Sign into Yahoo Site Explorer with your Yahoo Account. * From the Site Explorer click Submit Site Feed. * In the text box, type the full URL of your sitemap. For example, if you add the sitemap.xml, the full URL will be http://joomquery.com/sitemap.xml. * Click Submit Feed. ==== Submit the sitemap to MSN(Bing) ==== Before you start make sure you added and verified your site in your Bing Webmaster Center. * Sign into Bing Webmaster Center with your Windows Live ID (Hotmail ID) * On the Webmaster Center, choose your site * Go to “Sitemap” tab * In the text box, type the full URL of your sitemap. For example, if you add the sitemap.xml, the full URL will be http://joomquery.com/sitemap.xml. * Click Submit ==== Submit the sitemap to Ask.com ==== Submit your sitemap using the ping URL http://submissions.ask.com/ping?sitemap=http%3A//www.joomquery.com/sitemap_location.xml ===== Additional resources:===== Creating and Submitting Sitemaps Sitemap Wikipedia Magento Cron Service
- Configure Magento error page
- UK Delivery Shipping Table Rates
- How To Setup UPS shipping for negotiated rates
- Configuring Weight - destination shipping rates
- Magento Sitemap - steps to improve
- How to work with Magento Url Rewrite rules
- Creating Google Sitemaps for Magento sites
- Using Google Checkout with Magento
- Tweak PayPal Standard for Non-Supported Base Currency
- Paypal Standard Payments Setup with IPN
Recommended Web Hosting For Bloggers and Designers
I recoomended Webhostings for Bloggers and Designers because I am freelancer, working with thousand clients in the worlds. Most of them will use those hosts.
- Fast, Reliable, Affordable
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- And More...