Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is not everybody’s cup of tea. There is no rule or rhyme when it comes to using SEOs to rank its way into the top page of Google or any other search engine. Search engines are governed by complex algorithms and it requires a lot of effort to get your website to the front. Here are some valuable tips that will help you as a beginner to SEOs.
Page titles and description:
Page titles are a very important part of SEO which is why it is point number one. Being precise and concise in your title is very important as the closer it is to the keyword, the more of an edge you have. The title of the home page can be what the website is about and can also include some other important information. Titles for other pages should describe what is in the page.E.g: www.seotraining.me.uk
Descriptions are also very important as the Meta tag gives the user as well as search engines an idea about what the page is about. The description is what shows up when the user is looking for links and it has to be engaging or interesting enough to make him click on your link.
Permanent link structure:
The permanent link structure is a term used to describe the format of URLs for pages (categories/tags) or individual posts of a website.
- The link should be simple for users and search engines.
- The words in the URL must describe the link and they can be separated by hyphens.
- Keyword stuffing and lengthy URLs should be avoided.
One can avail the use of breadcrumbs in all internal pages. A breadcrumb is a set of links at the top of the page that aid in navigation. Blogs like WordPress offer several free plugins to create a breadcrumb.
Links within a page that lead you to another page within the website are called internal links. This is common when a page is dealing with a topic and it comes across a term or phrase which requires a separate description of its own. So adding an internal link url to that word/phrase will redirect the user to the new page within the site. This helps keep the site clean and concise.
- While linking pages one should remember to either use keyword anchor text or use the full article title as links.
- One should also make sure that the links are useful both for the user and easy to understand for search engines.
- Do not make links for search engines only. An internal link should help the user navigate the site better.
- Terms like ‘click here’ should not be used for internal linking.
- Don’t overdo internal linking. 4-5 links per page are enough.
Text formatting and the use of H1, H2 and H3:
Some basic editing and formatting is required before publishing text on one’s website. This enhances user experience and also helps improve your SEO. Here are some general guidelines for post formatting of one’s site:
- Use H1 tags for the title of your post.
- Use H2 tags for the main headings of your post.
- Use BOLD and Italics to draw the user’s attention.
- Don’t use H2 tags for all your headings.
- Write in small paragraphs. Break the sentences up into short ones as well.
- Use a font size that is easy to read.
One should also bear in mind that the user might be reading from a tab or a phone and not always a laptop. So font sizes of title and content should be decided accordingly.
The 404 Page:
404 page is the default page that appears when the page that the user is looking for does not exist or the url is broken. But the default 404 page can be very demotivating to the user.
- Instead of telling him that page is not found, it is better to tell him what happened.
- It is best to have this page in same design as rest of the website
- Give options to other info/pages on the site.
This is a crucial factor in deciding pager rankings as it is all about giving the user the best info in the fastest way possible. The faster the website, the more encouraging it is to the user and the more the likelihood that he will visit again. A web site that loads in less than 8 seconds is more likely to:
- Rank better in search results
- Get more page visits per user
- Get more conversions
These simple tips if kept in mind can really improve the SEO.
I’m Ramya Raju, a freelance web designer/writer based in India. I have worked in a number of SEO projects and have a good insight into creating a web design with SEO techniques incorporated in it. Apart from web designing and SEO I also contribute high-quality articles to top class websites and blogs. Besides business I am part-time wildlife photographer and generally an extrovert, I also like travelling to different destinations.
E-mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org